Thursday, January 17, 2013

TaleJam Round 1 Complete!

5PM has struck, and TaleJam round #1 is wrapped! Nice work everybody!

The three completed entries for this round are as follows -

Adam Lyon - The Pursuit of Morgan
Read It!

Tyler Hicks - Fort Sumter's Truth
Read It!

Travis Baldree - Death of the Arkansas
Read It!

UPDATE-
An incomplete first draft that'll undergo some more work
Jason Beck - From the Darkness
Read It!

I had a lot of fun doing this, and hope the rest of you did too. It's pretty cool how different the approach is for each entry, from a historical retelling, to journal entries, to straight-up narrative.

3 comments:

  1. Mine should be sub-titled "Too much Civil War, not enough Werewolf". ;) I got very caught up in research, and trying to make things accurate geographically. I didn't really do any editing, and the end was very rushed. And as my wife pointed out, there's not much room for backstory in a short story, and mine is almost all backstory. (=

    If I were to do this prompt again, I think I would have had much better results with a generic setting, or at least a very specific timeframe (days, rather than month I ended up trying to cover).

    This was a fun exercise for someone who doesn't really write, though, and I would definitely recommend trying it. 2,000 words is pretty easy to get down once you get into it. I had 6,500+ and could have easily gone beyond that with more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finished reading your two stories. I have to say, I think mine turned out the weakest of the three, and I don't think it's just because I chose a boring style for the narrative. Looking forward to seeing your critique.

    How are we going to go about doing the critique for these, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..i'm still reading the first part of Travis's but I like this idea so far. It'll be really interesting seeing where you folks go with it. I don't know if i'd be able to do something like this but it looks like it's definitely a great way to keep in practice.

    ReplyDelete